Location: From Rockport take SH 35 north about 7 miles to Goose Island State Park. Go east then NE about 2.5 miles to cemetery, Lamar.
This burial ground originally served pioneer settlers of the Lamar community.
Founded by James W. Byrne (d. 1865), a native of Ireland and a veteran of
the Texas Revolution, it was named for his friend Mirabeau B. Lamar, former
president of the Republic of Texas. The earliest grave is that of Patrick
O'Connor (1822-54), a bookkeeper for Byrne's business operations
in New Orleans. The town of Lamar ceased to exist by 1915 and the cemetery
was neglected until the 1940s when it was restored through efforts by the
family of John Henry Kroeger, Jr. (d. 1944). (1981)
Incise in base: Donated by the Lamar Woman's Club
Source: Texas Historical Commission