Aransas Co. TXGenWeb

Aransas Pass Light Station

Location: On Harbor Island, 2 mi. NE of east end of island, private and accessible only by boat

Construction of 67-foot tower was started in 1855. The French lens was lighted in 1856, to mark natural Gulf pass to Aransas and Corpus Christi Bays by way of Lydia Ann Channel -- named for the daughter of the first keeper. During Civil War, Confederates (in 1863) buried lens for safety before damaging tower to avert use of light by Federal forces. The auxiliary structures were rebuilt after 1919 hurricane. One of original Texas stations of U.S. Lighthouse Service (merged into the Coast Guard in 1939), this light was decommissioned in 1952 after pass shifted southward. (1973)
INCISE ON BASE: Lighthouse not open to public.
INCISE ON BACK OF MARKER: Restored in 1972 by Charles C. Butt

Source: Texas Historical Commission